Voter Reference Foundation LLC
d/b/a VoteRef.com, a subsidiary of Restoration Action, Inc
., a 501(c)(4) nonprofit social welfare organization, is dedicated to ensuring transparent, accurate and fair elections in the United States of America.
The purpose of VoteRef.com is to provide public access to official government data pertaining to elections, including voter registration rolls. VoteRef.com publishes public voter information as provided by state and local election officials.
Information Collected About You
The information VoteRef.com gathers through the Services falls into two categories:
(1) information users voluntarily supply when using the Services, and (2) information collected automatically through users’ use of the Services.
(1) Information You Provide to Us
If you opt-in to VoteRef.com email newsletters or other news alerts, VoteRef.com will collect Personal Information about you, such as your name, postal address, email address, user name, password, or mobile phone number.
Depending on the nature of the service, you may be free to register for the service without providing this additional information.
You may provide information to VoteRef.com when you:
- Enter registration information for one or more of the Services
- Sign up to receive email and/or text message notifications
- Download other information we provide
- Connect with the Services via a social networking site
VoteRef.com may also collect contact information about other individuals when you use the sharing and referral tools available within some of our Services to forward content to your friends and associates.
VoteRef.com uses this information to facilitate the communications you request. If you use any “send-to-a-friend” features of the Services, your email address may be included in the communication sent to your friend.
(2) Information Collected Automatically When You Use the Services
As you use the Services, VoteRef.com and third parties may use automatic data collection technologies to collect data about your equipment and browsing, including information about:
- Your use of the Services, including traffic data, location data, logs, and other communication data and the resources that you access and use within the Services;
- Your online activities over time and across third-party websites or other online services (behavioral tracking);
- Your computer and internet connection, including your IP address, which can sometimes be used to locate your general geographic area, operating system, and browser type;
- Your device type, screen size, browser type, language and other settings, memory capacity, plug-ins, internet domain, TCP configuration parameters, operating system, carrier code, time zone and the names, versions and package IDs of software installed on your device;
- Your interactions with email messages from VoteRef.com, such as the links you click on and whether you open or forward a message, the date and time of these interactions and the device you use to read emails;
- The sites you visited before and after you visited a VoteRef.com website
- Search terms you enter using the Services or on a referral site;
- Unique identifiers, including mobile device identification numbers, that can identify the physical location of devices in accordance with applicable law;
- Standard server log information; and
- Information collected through embedded scripts, cookies, web beacons, and other tracking technologies (see additional descriptions of these terms below).
VoteRef.com and our service providers or other third parties acting on our behalf or with our permission, may use embedded scripts, cookies, web beacons, device identifiers and other tracking technologies to operate, analyze, and improve our Services and tailor content to user interests. Third-party companies that provide some of the tools and features accessible through our Services and other websites also may use tracking technologies to collect information about your use of our Services.
A “cookie” is a small text file (often containing a unique identifier) that helps us to make your use of our Services more enjoyable and meaningful to you. Cookies are accessed and recorded by the websites you visit, and by the companies that deliver the advertisements you see on our Services, so they can recognize the same browser navigating online. Cookies can also help you avoid having to log in every time you come back to use the Services. They also allow us to tailor a website to better match your interests and preferences. There are a couple different types of cookies. A “session” cookie is stored only in your computer’s working memory and lasts only for your browsing session. When you close all of your browser’s windows, or when you shut down your computer, the session cookie disappears forever. A “persistent” cookie is stored on your computer’s hard drive until a specified date, which could be tomorrow, next week, or 10 years from now. Persistent cookies stay on your computer until they either, a) expire; b) are overwritten with newer cookies; or c) you manually remove them. Most browsers can be configured not to accept cookies. This may, however, prevent you from having access to some site functions or features. Your browser can also notify you when a cookie is set. (Check the “Help” menu of your browser to learn how to change your cookie preferences.) Please be aware that certain browsers cannot block or delete so-called “Flash” cookies, which use a feature of the Adobe Flash video player to store information on your computer. For information about how to delete Flash cookies, please visit the Adobe website here
. The Services may use spotlight ads/web beacons/GIF/pixel tags, which are site instrumentation tools that help us to determine, for instance, whether a page has been viewed or not; and if so, how many times. In general, any electronic image viewed as part of a webpage, can act as a web beacon, which is a small string of code that embeds a small graphic image (usually invisible) on a web page or in an email. When your browser downloads a web beacon, the server that sends the corresponding image to your browser can recognize and store certain types of information such as cookies previously set, the time and date that you viewed the page embedded with the beacon and a description of that page.
Mobile Device IDs and Location-Based Information
When you use a mobile device to access the Services, VoteRef.com may collect different types of information about your location, including general information (e.g., IP address, zip code) and more specific information (e.g., GPS-based location information).
VoteRef.com may use that information to customize the Services with location-based information and features. For example, if your IP address indicates an origin in Reno, the Services may be customized with Reno-specific information. In order to do this, your location information may be shared with our agents or vendors.
If you access the Services through a mobile device and you do not want your device to automatically provide us with location-tracking information, you can disable the GPS or other location-tracking functions on your device, provided your device allows you to do this. See your device manufacturer’s instructions for further details. We may still ask for a zip code or other location information.
Social Network Posting Tools and “Share” Features
How We Use the Information We Collect
VoteRef.com will not use information that we collect about you or that you provide to us for commercial purposes.
VoteRef.com might use information that we collect about you or that you provide to us including in the following ways:
- To present our Services and their contents to you;
- To provide you with information or services that you request from us;
- To evaluate and improve the Services, including content, layout, procedures, and navigation, and troubleshoot and perform analytics on the Services;
- To fulfill any other purpose for which you provide it;
- To notify you about changes to our Services;
- To allow you to participate in interactive features on the Services;
- To send you alerts or other communications via email and/or text message or other media;
- To allow us to personalize the content hat you see on the Services and to understand how users interact with and use our Services;
- To enforce the legal terms that govern your use of the Services;
- To perform analytics and research aimed at improving the accuracy, effectiveness, usability, or popularity of the Services; and
- In any other way we may describe when you provide the information.
How We Share and Disclose Information
Except as otherwise expressly noted herein or within the Services, VoteRef.com may share information collected with entities affiliated with the Voter Reference Foundation, but those entities will explicitly abide by all use restrictions and will use said information only for administration and operation of VoteRef.com itself. Here are some of the circumstances in which VoteRef.com may share information about our users:
Aggregated and Anonymous Information
Our service providers may render information anonymous by removing any information (such as your name) that makes the information personally identifying to you. Our service providers may combine information about you with information that we or they collect about other users of our Services or other web services and share it in a form that does not identify you personally. Our service providers may use such aggregated information or other anonymous information and disclose it to third parties for any purpose.
Transfers Between Entities
We may disclose any information we collect to successor in the event of a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution or other sale or transfer of some or all of VoteRef.com’s assets, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation, or similar proceeding, in which Personal Information held by VoteRef.com about users of our Services is among the assets transferred. We may also disclose any information we collect to other companies that are affiliated with VRF.
Your Opt-Out Choices
If you want to opt out from a VoteRef.com email newsletter or other email list, use the unsubscribe link at the bottom of each message or send us an email at email@example.com
with the email address at which you no longer wish to receive newsletters or other emails.
If you want to disable web beacons in our email messages, turn images “off” in your email system (e.g., Outlook or Outlook Express). Check the settings or options menu in your email system for more information.
Precise Device Location Tracking
If you agreed to allow VoteRef.com and/or our service providers to collect and/or share information about the precise location of your device by tracking a mobile application, you can withdraw your permission by accessing and changing your device’s location privacy settings.
This will prevent further collection of your precise device location information. Each operating system, iOS for Apple devices, and Android for Android devices, provides its own instructions on how to turn off precise location sharing. Access the privacy settings for your mobile device or contact your platform operator for more information.
Correcting or Updating Your Information
You may update or access and edit certain personally identifying information that you have provided to us through our Services. To update this information, please send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Links to Other Sites
VoteRef.com sites and applications provide links that link to other websites. We encourage you to review the privacy statements of all sites that you visit, including those whose links are provided, so that you can understand how those sites collect, use, and share your information. VoteRef.com is not responsible for the privacy statements, content, or data handling practices on other websites.
The Services are hosted in the United States. United States law governs the Services, and United States data protection laws may not be as protective as those in your country. If you are outside the United States or are not a United States citizen, you should not use the Services. User information will be transferred to, stored, and processed in the United States where our servers are located and our databases are operated, and you consent to the use and storage of your information in the United States.
Children Under 13
The Services are not intended for children under 13 years of age, and VoteRef.com does not knowingly collect information from children under 13. If you are under the age of 13, do not: use, or provide any information on, the Services; use any of the interactive or public comment features of the Services; or otherwise provide any information about yourself to us, including your name, address, telephone number, email address or any screen name or user name you may use. If we learn we have collected or received Personal Information from a child under 13 without verification of parental consent, we will delete that information. If you believe we might have any Personal Information from or about a child under 13, please contact us at email@example.com